Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Night of Musical Bliss

Last night I was lucky enough to see one of my all time favorite performers, for the second time, Pat Benatar.

The first time was back in 1997 where Pat joined in on Styx's 'Return to Paradise' tour. It was an amazing show back then. And while Styx put on a wonderful show, I was really only there to see Pat. I sat rather impatiently, until Styx had finished performing, before I got to really enjoy the show.

I mean, it was great seeing Styx perform...don't get me wrong. I have always liked their music. But, this was Pat frickin' Benatar we are talking about! She has been one of my favorites for roughly 30 years...since I was like 13 or 14 years old. So, yeah, I was only there to see her.

About a month or two ago I found out that Pat was going to be performing in Florida at a few venues not too far from where I live. Right then and there I knew it was a show I would not miss.

I quickly followed links for ticket information when I damn near had a heart attack. At the venue closest to my home they were offering the following "package" deal:

Platinum - $1500
* 2 tickets within the first 5 rows
* VIP Meet & Greet Passes
* Personal Photo with Pat & Neil
* Limited Edition Tour t-shirt
* Commemorative Tour Lanyard
* Autographed 8x10 Glossy
* Limited Edition, Kato Green, Neil "Spyder" Giraldo Signature Eagle B.C. Rich Guitar

OMG!!!! I could have the opportunity to meet her?!?!?!?!?!

Dharm and I discussed it and we were set to get those tickets. We have been saving up to buy a house and have not taken a real vacation in roughly 7 years. $1500 is a big bill, but we'd spend that amount if we had gone on vacation anyway...so what's the big deal????

A few days passed and good ol' responsibility/reality sank in. We ended up not getting the 'Platinum' package. (pout) Although it was a price we could afford, we felt it would be better off being used towards the purchase of a home. (It sux being a grown up some times)

We also found out that Queen Latifah was going to be performing in the town we live in soon and decided to go see her as well. So, we opted for normal tickets for Pat's show because we would be getting tickets for QL too. But, man, it would have been GREAT to have met Pat and Neil...the other stuff would have just been added perks.

The seats we ended up with were pretty awesome seats however. I'm not too keen on floor level seats...unless they are within the first 4 to 5 rows. But, none of those were available. So, I selected balcony/box seats. The website I was ordering from landed me with some killer seats. We were in the first balcony/box (which was pretty much above the 4th and 5th rows and slightly to the right side of the stage) in the front seats. We had nothing but railing in front of us. Yay!!!!

This is how close we were sitting. Yay!

Now, this is where I show you what a horrible blogger I am. I did not even think to bring a pen and paper to jot down notes about the show and names of the songs that were performed. And, to top it off, I forgot my cell phone. No jotting down notes that way either. I'm such a dork!

I can list some of the songs from memory...but couldn't tell you in which order they were performed.

They opened with 'All Fired Up'...and I think they closed with 'Heartbreaker'. In between those two songs they performed:

Hit Me With Your Best Shot
So Sincere
Sex as a Weapon
We Belong
Love is a Battlefield
Hell is for Children
Fire and Ice
You Better Run (we found out last night that this song was the second video that MTV aired the night it launched back in 1981)

...and many more...which I can't remember. The show lasted a little more than an hour and a half. It ended too soon if you ask me. They could have performed until the wee hours of the morning and it wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

Although Pat didn't hit as many of the high notes as she used to, she sounded wonderful none-the-less. She sang with as much strength and passion as ever. And, of course, Neil was rockin' it loud and hard on his guitars...as well as providing great vocals.

I took roughly 150 pictures at the show, but many of them didn't come out that well. I got scolded by security for using the flash on my camera and was told to turn it off. The quality of the pictures from that point on suffered.

I'll share with you the pictures that came out the best. Hope you enjoy them.

















All-in-all it was a great show and is one I'll never forget...well...won't forget going at least. The way my memory is I'll forget much about the show itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment