Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Legion, Salty Cheeks and Wet Shirt Sleeves

I'll admit, I've never been a lore buff when it comes to World of Warcraft. I've played long enough, and paid just enough attention, that I'm familiar with who key figures are within each faction. Having said that, I am taken aback by my reaction to the story line WoW has thrust upon us with the opening of the pre-expansion event for Legion.

My memory was a little rusty as to what/who the Legion are/were. I remember them having a presence back during the Burning Crusades expansion...and that's about it. So, coming into the pre-event, I really didn't know what to expect. However, I did NOT expect events in the story line to unfold as they did. And what did I do about it?

I cried like a little school girl who lost her favorite dolly is what I did!!!!

** SPOILER ALERT INCOMING **

I was, and kind of still am, totally unprepared for the final cinematic of the opening Scenario. Here I was, on my Druid Thelander, feeling all proud to be heading out with the Alliance forces to confront Gul'dan and start putting a hurt on the invading demons of the Legion. Riding along with such notable characters as Genn Greymane and Lady Jaina and feeling all important and such.

Along the way we meet up with King Varian Wrynn and continue on with our onslaught. In the distance Jaina points out that she sees Tirion Fordring and we soon learn that he is held captive by Gul'dan. We then witness the death of Tirion at the hands of a demon that Gul'dan has summoned.

This was my first "HOLY CRAP THEY DIDN'T JUST DO THAT!" moment. Again, I'm not a lore buff. However, I know that Tirion is a major character within the Alliance faction. I was in shock that Blizz killed him off.

However, there wasn't time to dwell on what had just happened. It was time to kill the demon and press on.

So, off we go to confront Gul'dan and his forces. The battle is going well but we soon become overwhelmed by the influx of demons. We witness the departure of Sylvanas Windrunner, who is leading the Horde forces in this battle against Gul'dan...and who is supposed to have our backs during the battle at hand.

With the absence of the Horde's assistance, Greymane suggests we retreat. The Alliance forces begin to board the airships to leave when all of a sudden a large Fel Reaver type demon emerges and grabs hold of one of the airships. King Wrynn is hanging on a rope ladder off the side of the airship and, instead of taking a hand of assistance from Greymane, he hands  Greymane a letter to his son, Prince Anduin, and then releases his grip from the ladder falling down onto the head of the demon. King Wrynn thrusts his sword into the head of the demon killling it, but is soon overtaken by the remaining Legion forces. He is stabbed a few times in the torso and then Gul'dan fills Varian with so much Fel Energy that he explodes.

OMFG, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!! THEY KILLED OFF VARIAN???????

And then the tears began...

And they continue to fall each time I run the Scenario on a different toon. Hell, I've been skipping the end cinematic on some of my toons, but I still well up knowing what's happened. I'm getting choked up just writing this. And this is confusing to me.

Like I've mentioned, I am not a lore buff. So why the tears? I don't get it. Yes, I've been playing WoW since 2006. I've never really felt overly attached to any one character in the game, other than the ones I play. But to see King Wrynn killed has effected me more than I would have imagined.

Logistically, I suppose it makes sense. Prince Anduin has grown and was sooner or later bound to take control of Stormwind as King. But, in the back of my head, I just assumed it would be when Varian grew too old to be an effective King.

Yeah, apparently Blizz didn't have the same thought.

I still have a few more toons I need to run the Scenario on. My prediction? More tears will flow, my cheeks will be salt stained and my shirt sleeves wet from wiping the tears away.

P.S. - For those of you who play Horde, no worries...there are no hard feelings here. After reading Navimie's post at her blog, I feel bad for your loss as well. May Vol'jin rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment